Women of all ages suffer from vaginal itching from time to time. Itching, burning or irritation in a sensitive area like the vagina and vulva can be very uncomfortable.
Some common causes of itching, burning and irritation in and around the vaginal area are bacterial or yeast infections, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), menopause and chemical irritants.
Vaginal pinworm infections can also cause vaginal itching; however, this type of infection is common in children. Excessive stress and a weak immune system can increase the likelihood of suffering from this uncomfortable problem.
In addition to itching and burning sensations, there can be redness and swelling in and around the vagina and vulva. Vaginal discharge and odor may also be present. Often, women also have discomfort during urination or intercourse.
To stop vaginal itching, you need to maintain proper hygiene as well as follow a healthy lifestyle and diet. Also, try some simple home remedies to get temporary relief from the symptoms. However, for proper diagnosis and treatment, consult your doctor.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for vaginal itching and burning.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a good remedy for treating vaginal itching due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also helps restore the natural pH balance of your vagina.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Use this solution to wash your vagina twice daily for a few days.
- Also, add 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of raw honey to a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily.
2. Cold Compress
To get instant relief from vaginal itching, use a cold compress. It will help numb the area and reduce the itching and inflammation.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth and tie it together.
- Put this ice pack on your vagina for a few minutes.
- Take a break for 30 seconds and reapply it.
- Repeat until the itching stops.
- Use this remedy as needed.
You can also rinse the vaginal area with cold water a few times a day.
3. Salt Water Bath
Enjoying a salt-water bath can also relieve vaginal itching. Salt will control the growth of the microbes causing the infection and in turn reduce itching and other discomforts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to a glass of water and use it to wash your vagina whenever you feel the itch. This will give you instant relief.
- Alternatively, fill your bathtub with warm water and add ½ cup of salt to it. Sit in the water in a squatting position for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily for a few days for best results.
Note: Do not use salt remedies if you have any skin tears or open sores.
Plain, unsweetened yogurt with active cultures is another good remedy to stop itching and burning in and around your vagina. The active cultures can control the spread of infection in the body. It also helps kill yeast and bad bacteria in the vagina and promote the growth of good bacteria.
- Dip a tampon in yogurt and insert it in the vagina for two hours. Do this twice daily until you get relief.
- Also, eat a few cups of plain, unsweetened yogurt every day.
Garlic contains antibacterial as well as antibiotic properties that can help kill bacteria and yeast. It also improves the immune system and helps the body fight infections.
- Dilute a few drops of garlic oil with 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and apply it on the affected area. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Use this remedy twice daily for a few weeks.
- Chew 3 cloves of raw garlic daily. Alternatively, you can take garlic supplements after consulting a doctor.
6. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, also known as neem, is a good remedy if you suffer from vaginal itching due to a yeast infection. Its antiseptic properties help fight the infection and reduce itching and other discomforts.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in 2 to 3 cups of filtered water. Strain and allow it to cool. Use this solution to rinse the vaginal area once daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of neem oil to a bowl of lukewarm water and use it as a rinse for your vagina. Repeat this remedy twice daily for a couple of weeks.
- You can also drink neem tea a couple of times daily or take neem capsules after consulting a doctor.