Swollen feet is a common problem that anyone can suffer from. It is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying issue. Usually, this problem arises when fluid accumulates in the tissues, leading to swelling known as edema.
This can occur for several reasons, such as being overweight, standing or sitting for long periods of time, aging, pregnancy, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), nutritional deficiencies, lack of physical exercise and poor blood circulation.
An injury or surgery involving the leg, ankle or a foot can also cause swelling in your feet.
People who have diabetes, heart problems, kidney or liver disease, and pregnant women are more prone to this problem.
As the swelling increases, it can cause general discomfort and people may find it difficult to walk or stand. Other symptoms may include pain, inflammation and redness in the feet.
Luckily, there are plenty of effective tips and remedies to treat swollen feet at home, so you can get back out and enjoy the world.
However, if the swelling is painful or occurs often, consult your doctor. It can be a sign of heart, kidney or liver problems that may need timely treatment.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for swollen feet.
1. Contrast Hydrotherapy
This type of hydrotherapy, which includes both cold and warm water, is highly effective for reducing swelling in your feet. While the warm water helps improve circulation, cold water helps reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Fill 2 foot tubs– one with cold water and the other with warm water.
- Soak your feet in the warm water for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Immediately put your feet in the cold water for about 1 minute.
- Continue alternating for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat a few times daily until you get relief.
A foot massage is one of the best remedies for swollen feet. It creates pressure on the affected area that helps relax sore muscles and improve circulation. It also encourages excess fluid drainage to reduce swelling.
- Rub some warm mustard oil or olive oil on the affected area.
- Gently massage the area for 5 minutes in an upward direction, rather than downward. Avoid applying too much pressure.
- Do this several times a day.
It is most effective to massage your feet during or after taking a bath.
Note: If the swelling in your feet is due to pregnancy, see a therapist who specializes in prenatal massage.
3. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt works fast to reduce swelling and can help alleviate pain and discomfort, too. The magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt is easily absorbed through the skin and helps improve circulation and reduce swelling. It is also relaxing for sore, tired muscles and even helps neutralize foot odor.
- Mix ½ cup of Epsom salt in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Soak your swollen feet in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat up to 3 times a week.
Ginger is a natural diuretic that helps treat swollen feet. It helps dilute sodium, a major contributing factor behind swelling. In addition, its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce swelling.
- Massage your swollen feet with ginger oil when massaging a few times daily.
- You can also drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea or chew some raw ginger slices.
The diuretic property of dandelion helps the body metabolize extra fluids, making it a great remedy for swollen feet. According to a 2009 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, dandelion has a diuretic effect that helps treat water retention.
It also helps regulate the sodium level in the body.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried dandelion leaves in a cup of hot water. Cover, steep for 5 minutes and strain it. Drink this herbal tea 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also take dandelion tincture or supplements, but only after consulting a doctor.
6. Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water helps flush out excess fluid and toxins from your body, which can reduce swelling in the feet and other areas of the body caused by water retention. In addition, it helps keep the body hydrated and provides anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Sweeten it with a little raw honey.
- Drink this lemon water a few times daily.