Unlike in Western countries where most are fond of a tanned appearance, people in Eastern countries (India, China, Korea, etc.) do not favor this look. They consider it unaesthetic and unattractive. Thus, in the summer, many people complain about sun tanned skin.
The sun’s ultraviolet rays increase production of melanin in the body, which results in sun tanned skin. After getting a sun tan, it is not easy to bring your skin back to a normal state but with patience and care it can be done.
Instead of spending money on expensive cosmetic products, you can try some natural treatments. There are many simple natural treatments that can lighten a sun tan and restore a lighter complexion.
Here are the top 10 remedies for sun tanned skin.
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon is great for curing sun tanned skin due to its natural bleaching properties.
- You can simply apply some fresh lemon juice on the affected skin area and allow it to dry before washing the area with water.
- You can also add some sugar to lemon juice and apply it on the skin. Sugar is an excellent cleansing agent. Do this two or three times a week for fast results.
Yogurt is very effective in minimizing a sun tan as it cools the skin as well as reduces redness and tightens the pores.
- Take a cup of plain yogurt and add the juice of one cucumber and one tomato.
- Go, add half a cup of gram flour (besan).
- Apply it on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
Plus, simply apply some fresh yogurt on your skin daily before taking a bath. For best results, add tomato juice and lime juice to the yogurt.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel will lighten the skin within a week, if applied daily to the affected area. It also helps cleanse and nourish the skin.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin areas before going to bed.
- In the morning, wash the skin thoroughly.
Raw potato is an excellent remedy for sun tanned skin. Surprisingly, it is rich in vitamin c and hence, works as natural bleach. It also helps soothe sunburn.
- Peel the skin off two to three medium-sized potatoes, cut them into chunks and put them in a blender to make a paste.
- Apply the paste generously all over the affected skin area. Let it dry for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
For best results, can add some lemon juice to the potato paste before applying it.
5. Gram Flour
Gram flour is very useful in treating a sun tan as it helps remove dead skin cells and leaves your skin bright and young. You can use the gram flour powder available in market or make a paste of whole green gram.
- Mix the gram flour in water and rub it all over the affected skin area.
- Wait 20 minutes before washing if off with water.
- Do this twice a week for a few months.
For best results, use rose water instead of plain water. You can also mix some lime juice and yogurt into the paste.
Cucumber juice also helps reduce a sun tan. Cucumbers have a cooling effect that soothes the skin and helps eliminate a suntan. The vitamin C in cucumbers also will help keep the skin well moisturized.
- Mix two tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice and one tablespoon of lime juice. Add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix it well and apply it on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
- You can also rub freshly cut slices of cucumber on your skin.