7. Green Tea
You can also sip away your stress with a cup of green tea. Green tea is a concoction of several polyphenols. Green tea is rich in unique types of catechins .
Green tea contains L-Theanine, an amino acid that promotes the production of alpha brain waves, which in turn reduces stress, encourages relaxation, and improves focus and mental alertness .
Besides, this amino acid plays an essential role in the development of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a neurotransmitter that promotes relaxation.
- Add 2 teaspoons of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add some fresh lemon juice and raw honey.
- You can drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea a day to reduce stress.
Another effective folk remedy for stress is passionflower. The extracts of this beautiful flower contain flavonoids like apigenin, luteolin, and alkaloids like harmane, harmaline, and harmine. Some of these compounds like harmane have anti-depressant properties .
Passionflower can increase GABA levels in the brain, which helps reduce stress as well as anxiety and panic attacks.
- Drink a cup of passionflower tea to reduce stress. To make the tea, add 1 tablespoon of the dried herb to 1 cup of hot water. Cover and steep for about 10 minutes. Strain and drink this tea while it is still warm.
- Passionflower is also available in liquid extract, tincture, and tablet forms. Always consult your doctor before taking a supplement as it may interact with certain medications.
Note: Small children and women who are pregnant or nursing must not take this herb.