Honey has antibacterial properties, which can fight the infection and speed up the healing process. It also works like a hypertonic osmotic, which means that it helps draw water out of inflamed tissue and thus reduces swelling.
- Add one to two tablespoons of honey to one cup of hot water and drink it several times a day. You can also add honey to your favorite cup of herbal tea.
- Before going to bed, eat one teaspoon of honey as it will give you soothing relief and help you sleep.
Another great remedy for a sore throat is turmeric, which has powerful antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water. Drink it slowly in the morning on an empty stomach. Do this once daily for three or four days.
- Alternatively, you can add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of ground black pepper to a glass of warm milk and drink it before going to bed.
- You can also gargle with turmeric to soothe a bad throat. Add one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder and one-half teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and mix it well. Gargle with this mixture twice daily.