When skin is injured, fibrous tissue, known as scar tissue, forms over the wound to repair and protect it. This leads to the formation of scar.
You can get a scar on your skin due to accidents, insect bites, scrapes, acne, burns, chickenpox, piercings, surgical cuts and vaccinations.
Scars come in all shapes and sizes, and can affect your appearance and make you self-conscious.
The human body is capable of taking care of scars and they tend to get lighter with time. To speed up healing, you can try some home remedies. The focus of scar removal remedies is to support effective cell growth, minimize scar tissue and create healthy skin.
Bear in mind that there is no procedure yet that can make a scar disappear completely. Treatments and remedies can only make it less noticeable. Before applying the home remedies, make sure to cleanse the affected area thoroughly.
Be patient and persistent, as it may take some time depending upon the shape, size and type of scar. In addition, not every scar removal remedy will work for everyone.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for scar removal.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural scar removal remedy due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
It works as a natural emollient to help repair damaged skin and promote growth of healthy skin. In addition, it will improve your skin texture.
- Peel the outer green cover off an aloe vera leaf and scoop out the gel-like substance.
- Apply the gel on your scar and massage in circular motions.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes, then wash it off.
- Apply aloe vera gel twice daily.
Note: Do not apply aloe vera gel on open wounds.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another excellent ingredient that can help fade scars. The vitamin E, an antioxidant, in coconut oil accelerates the healing time and prevents new scars from forming. In addition, the lauric, caprylic and capric acids found in coconut oil stimulate collagen production, promote healing of damaged skin and reverse free-radical damage.
- Heat some extra-virgin coconut oil to liquefy it.
- Put the warm oil on your palm and massage it onto the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for at least 1 hour so that the skin absorbs the oil.
- For best results, repeat 2 to 4 times a day.
3. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is an effective antioxidant that can help fade scars. Its moisturizing property hydrates the skin and helps repair damaged tissue and improve the appearance of scars.
- Open some vitamin E capsules to get the oil.
- Smear the oil onto the scar and massage gently for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Do this several times a day.
Note: Test this on a small patch of skin first, as vitamin E oil may cause an allergic reaction in some people.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is another effective natural scar removal treatment. It is rich in vitamin E and helps keep the skin soft and moisturized. This in turn promotes the healing of damaged skin. For best results, use extra-virgin olive oil.
- Apply some warm extra-virgin olive oil to the affected area and massage using small, circular motions. Wait 30 minutes, then wipe off the oil with a clean cloth. You can also leave the oil on your skin overnight.
- Another option is to mix a little lavender oil in some extra-virgin olive oil, apply it on the affected area and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat either of these remedies several times a day until you get the desired result.
Lemon contains alpha hydroxy acids, which have healing properties that can help treat scars of all types. Lemon can remove dead skin cells, promote the growth of new skin cells and improve skin elasticity. The vitamin C in lemon also helps regenerate and repair damaged skin. In addition, the bleaching property of lemon helps lighten scars.
- Apply some lemon juice on the affected area. Those who have sensitive skin can dilute the lemon juice with equal amounts of rose water or vitamin E oil and then apply it on the scar.
- Wait 10 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat once daily until the scar fades.
Note: As lemon can make your skin photosensitive, avoid going out in the sun immediately after use and be sure to use sunscreen when you go outside.
Honey is a natural moisturizer, making it an effective scar removal treatment. It prevents accumulation of dead skin cells and stimulates skin tissue regeneration.
- Apply some honey on the scar, cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with warm water. Repeat daily before going to bed.
- Another option is to make a scrub with equal amounts of honey and crystallized sugar. Apply it on the affected area and scrub gently for a few minutes. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Use this treatment once or twice a week.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can also heal different types of scars with apple cider vinegar. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar helps exfoliate and remove dead skin cells. This promotes the growth of healthy skin cells and reduces the appearance of scars. In addition, apple cider vinegar balances the pH level of your skin, which is essential for healthy skin texture.
- Mix equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. Dip a cotton ball in it and apply it on the scar. Leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a solution with 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, 2/3 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply this mixture on the scar, leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
8. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is an excellent natural moisturizer that can heal scars of all types. It penetrates deep into the skin and keeps the affected area moisturized longer.
This promotes the growth of new skin tissues in place of damaged ones. In addition, the vitamin E in cocoa butter aids skin repair.
- Apply a spoonful of pure cocoa butter on the scar and massage it gently using firm, circular motions.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily until the scar fades.
9. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a useful essential oil to help manage skin conditions and reduce scars and blemishes, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties.
- Add 4 drops of tea tree oil to 2 tablespoons of water. Use this diluted solution to wash the affected area 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of almond oil. Apply it on the scar, leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Use this remedy once daily.
Note: Never use tea tree oil undiluted. Also, if using this essential oil for the first time, do a patch test.
According to Ayurveda, sandalwood has skin-regenerating and soothing properties that can reduce the appearance of all types of scars.
- Mix equal amounts of sandalwood oil and any carrier oil of your choice. Apply it on the scar with a cotton ball. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Follow this treatment twice daily.
- Another option is to mix 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder and add enough rose water or milk to make a paste. Apply the paste on the scar and rub gently. Leave it on for 1 hour before washing it off with cold water. Do this once daily.
- Make green tea, allow it to cool and then dab it onto a new scar using a cotton swab. Massage gently. When used regularly, it will reduce the size of the scar.
- Crush 1 or 2 aspirins, add enough water to make a paste and apply it on the scar twice daily.
- You can also apply white toothpaste to help fade scars.
- Avoid exposing scars to the sun, which can slow down the healing process and make the scars darker.
- Regularly massaging the affected area can help break down the fibrous tissue that causes scarring.
- Exfoliate regularly to get rid of old layers of skin. This will promote the growth of new skin and reduce the appearance of scars.
- Use a concealer to hide scars. Always use a concealer that matches your skin tone.
- Follow a diet rich in vitamins C and E to speed up the healing process.
- Regular intake of fish oil supplements can also help heal scars. Consult a doctor before starting any supplement regimen.