Kidney stones are a very common health problem. They form from the chemicals in urine, such as uric acid, phosphorous, calcium and oxalic acid. Other common causes of kidney stones are excessive consumption of vitamin D, a mineral imbalance, dehydration, gout and an improper diet.
Irrespective of the size of the kidney stones, they can cause severe pain. Other symptoms include a desire to urinate frequently, painful urination, nausea, vomiting and excessive sweating.
In addition to conventional medications, a majority of cases can be treated with the help of natural ingredients as well. Many of them also will help prevent stones from developing in the future.
Moreover, make sure to drink plenty of water. If you drink eight to 10 glasses of water along with other kinds of fluids daily, the color of your urine will become clear, which is a good sign.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for kidney stones. Also, do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
1. Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
The combination of lemon juice and olive oil is traditionally used as a home remedy to expel gallbladder stones but it can also be used to treat kidney stones. The citric acid present in lemons helps break down calcium-based kidney stones and stops further growth.
- Take four tablespoons or a quarter cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Add an equal amount of olive oil.
- Drink this mixture followed by plenty of water.
- Do this two to three times a day, up to three days. You need not continue this remedy if you pass the stones in a single dose.
Warning: This remedy may not be suitable for passing large kidney stones. Make sure you consult a doctor before taking this remedy.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps dissolve kidney stones. It also has an alkalinizing effect on blood and urine.
- Mix two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water.
- Drink this a few times a day.
Both the seeds and juice of pomegranates have astringent properties that can help in the treatment of kidney stones.
- Try to eat one whole pomegranate or drink one glass of freshly squeezed pomegranate juice daily. You can mix pomegranate in a fruit salad also.
- Another option is to grind one tablespoon of pomegranate seeds into a fine paste. Eat this paste along with a cup of horse gram soup once daily. This remedy will help dissolve the stones. You can find horse gram in Indian markets.
4. Nettle Leaf
The nettle leaf helps maintain the flow of water through the kidneys and bladder, thus promoting smooth urination. At the same time, nettle leaf helps keep crystals from forming into stones and keeps bacteria away. Nettle tea will also enhance the benefits of water by acting as a natural diuretic.
- Add two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf to a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink two to three cups of nettle tea daily for several weeks.
Basil is regarded as a tonic for the kidneys and thus it is good for the organs’ overall health. Basil can also help induce stone expulsion from the urinary tract.
- Mix one teaspoon each of basil juice and honey. Take it daily in the morning for five to six months. If you do not like the taste of honey, you can take pure basil juice or chew two to three basil leaves daily.
- Another option is to drink basil tea. Steep five to six basil leaves in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add a teaspoon of honey and drink this tea after it cools.
Watermelon is a great way to treat kidney stones composed of calcium and magnesium phosphates and carbonates. The potassium present in watermelon is an essential ingredient for healthy kidneys. It helps regulate and maintain the acid level in urine.
Along with potassium, watermelon also contains a high concentration of water, which helps in flushing out stones from the kidneys. Eating watermelon regularly can help greatly in the treatment as well as prevention of kidney stones. You can have watermelon seed tea as well.
Wheatgrass juice is highly effective in treating kidney stones and other kidney diseases naturally. You can also have a glass of wheatgrass juice mixed with one teaspoon each of lemon juice and juice extracted from basil leaves.
Take it two to three times a day. Wheatgrass juice is a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, amino acids, chlorophyll, and B vitamins.
8. Bran Flakes
According to a study by the American Society of Nephrology, whole grain-rich diets have been associated with a reduction of kidney stones as they contain sufficient amounts of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Furthermore, the insoluble fiber found in wheat helps reduce calcium in the urine as it combines with calcium in the intestines, thereby eliminating it though the stool.
Thus, it is essential to eat foods that are rich in fiber when suffering from kidney stones. When it comes to fiber-rich food, nothing is better than bran flakes. The fiber will help get rid of the calcium in your urine, thus cutting down the risk of kidney stones. One bowl of bran flakes can provide 8 mg of fiber. So, to cut the risk of kidney stones, eat bran flakes daily without fail.
Whole grain foods like bread too can help greatly lower your risk for kidney stones. Whole grain breads are a rich source of nutrients, fiber, and protein along with magnesium.
Magnesium especially can help prevent coalescing of crystals in the kidney to form larger stones. So, those suffering from kidney stones should eat two to three slices of whole wheat bread daily to reduce the stones.
Along with bread, eat whole grain cereals, pasta and so on to increase your intake of fiber and other nutrients to ward off kidney stones in the future.
A glass of raw celery juice can help relieve pain from kidney stones due to its anti-spasmodic properties. Celery juice helps clear out toxins that contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Raw celery juice is also a diuretic, which means it increases the volume of urine and helps flush out the stones.
- Drink a glass of celery juice daily in order to prevent more stones from forming.
- You can also use celery seed to treat kidney stones. Drinking herbal tea made with celery seeds can help treat kidney stones resulting from uric acid accumulation.
10. Kidney Beans
Being high in fiber, kidney beans can be effective in the treatment of any kind of kidney or bladder problem, including kidney stones.
- Remove the beans from inside the pods, then put the beans in hot water. Simmer the water on low flame for hours until the beans become soft and tender. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool. Strain the liquid again. Drink it several times throughout the day to relieve kidney stone pain. This liquid should not be kept for more than 24 hours, as it will lose its therapeutic properties.
- You can also eat kidney beans in soup or salad.
To conclude, you can try any of these natural remedies for treating kidney stones. If there is no improvement in your condition, consult a doctor.