The rosmarinic acid in rosemary oil has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat a headache.
- Simply massage your forehead and temples with a few drops of rosemary oil mixed in a tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Alternatively, make an herbal tea by boiling one teaspoon of crushed rosemary leaves and one teaspoon of crushed sage leaves in a cup of water. Cover it while boiling and then let it steep for 10 minutes. Let the tea cool to room temperature, then drink it. You can have this herbal tea two to three times a day. If both the herbs are not available, you can make the tea with either of the two herbs alone.
Note: Rosemary oil may not be suitable for those suffering from epilepsy or high blood pressure.
Cloves can be used to ease tension headaches as it has a cooling and pain-relieving properties.
- Crush a few cloves gently and put them in a sachet or a clean handkerchief. Inhale the smell of the crushed cloves whenever you have a headache until you get some relief from the pain.
- Another option is to put two drops of clove oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil and massage your forehead and temples with it.
- You can also mix together two teaspoons of coconut oil, one teaspoon of sea salt and two drops of clove oil and rub this mixture gently on your forehead.