7. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an age-old practice that supports oral health by removing harmful bacteria from your mouth. It helps keep your mouth moist and prevent dry mouth, a common problem among denture users. It evens helps eliminate bad breath and reduce gum swelling.
- Put 1 tablespoon of cold-pressed vegetable oil like sesame oil in your mouth. Make sure not to wear your dentures while doing this.
- Swish it around your mouth thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat the process daily, in the morning before eating anything.
You can also do oil pulling with extra-virgin coconut oil.
Note: Do not gargle or swallow the oil.
Irritated or inflamed gums due to dentures can also be treated with sage. Its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce gum pain and swelling.
This antimicrobial herb is also toxic to harmful organisms that cause bad breath and impact your oral health.
- Boil 1 tablespoon of dried sage in 1 cup of water. Strain and allow it to cool. Use the water to gargle 2 times daily until the swelling and pain are gone.
- Also, chew a few fresh sage leaves 2 or 3 times a day to help ease pain and reduce gum swelling.