9. Increase Iron Intake
Those suffering from iron-deficiency anemia often have cold hands and feet. This happens because blood with a low hemoglobin level can’t deliver a proper oxygen supply to various organs and tissues.
Women between the ages of 19 and 50 need 18 mg of iron daily, while men in the same age category need 8 mg daily.
- To fight iron deficiency, eat iron-rich foods like dates, apples, lentils, liver, red meat, spinach, soybean flour, tofu, almonds, dried apricots, olives, fortified breakfast cereals, watercress, oysters and asparagus.
- You can opt to take an iron supplement, after consulting your doctor for the proper dosage. High doses of iron can be harmful to your body.
10. Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods
Magnesium is another nutrient required for good circulation and absorption of vitamin D. Without enough magnesium, you are more likely to suffer from cold feet as well as hands.
The body cannot store magnesium for very long, so it is essential to include magnesium-rich foods regularly in your diet.
Adult women need up to 300 mg of magnesium daily, and men require up to 400 mg daily.
- Some good sources of magnesium-rich foods are spinach, Swiss chard, turnips, mustard greens, broccoli, seaweed, avocados, cucumbers, green beans, baked potatoes, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and almonds.
- You can opt to take supplements, after consulting your doctor.
- While sitting on a chair, do not let your feet dangle without support. Place a stool under your feet to rest them on.
- Try aerobic activities, such as running, hiking and cycling, to promote proper circulation and prevent cold feet.
- During the winter months, wear warm socks to keep your feet comfortable and warm.
- Air-activated foot warmers can also be used to warm up cold feet.
- If you smoke, quit smoking as it can cause poor blood circulation.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, walnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and more, to prevent blocked arteries and poor circulation.
- Alternative therapies like yoga and acupuncture are also helpful.
- Keep your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels under control.