Burping, also known as belching or eructation, is one of the ways your body expels excessive gas from your stomach.
It is often accompanied with a typical sound and, at times, an odor. The gas in your stomach may also cause abdominal pain and cramps that vary in severity and duration.
There are two main causes of burping – swallowing excess air while eating or poor digestion of food that results in an overproduction of gas in the digestive system.
Burping is sometimes associated with an underlying medical condition, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), fructose malabsorption, gastritis, peptic ulcers, lactose intolerance, and celiac disease.
Though burping is a natural bodily function, it can be embarrassing and even uncomfortable at times. To prevent and treat burping, you can use some simple home remedies to reduce gas formation in your stomach.
Note: Occasional burping is normal and nothing to worry about. But as persistent burping could indicate an underlying digestive disorder, you need to consult your doctor.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for burping.
Ginger is an effective home treatment to prevent excessive gas.
Its carminative properties help relax the gastrointestinal muscles, hence preventing gas, burping and bloating. It promotes digestion, calms the stomach and helps relieve abdominal pain.
- Put 1 tablespoon of thin ginger slices in a cup of hot water. Cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Strain, add a little honey and lemon juice, and drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can take a ginger supplement. Consult your doctor for the correct dosage.
Peppermint is another natural remedy to treat burping. Its antispasmodic property helps relax the digestive tract, which reduces the formation of gas in the stomach. It even improves the flow of bile and promotes overall digestion.
- Put 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes, then strain it.
- Drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day.
Note: People who have a history of gallstones must not use this herb.
3. Probiotic Foods
Probiotic foods help restore the natural balance of your gut bacteria. An imbalance of the bacteria in your digestive system can contribute to gas formation and belching.
Probiotic foods can even treat different digestive problems, ranging from constipation to diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome to bloating.
- Some of the best probiotic foods that you can eat include Greek yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, buttermilk and sour pickles.
- You can opt to take probiotic supplements, after consulting your doctor.
Another herb to treat burping is chamomile. Drinking chamomile tea allows the abdominal gas to release through the system instead of belching. It can also help relieve intestinal cramping.
A 2011 study published in Molecular Medicine notes that chamomile helps in soothing the stomach and relieving stomach gas. It can be used for several gastrointestinal conditions, such as flatulence, spasms, colic, and upset stomach.
- Put 1 chamomile teabag in a cup and pour 1 cup of boiled water over it.
- Let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the teabag and sip your chamomile tea.
- Drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day.
Cardamom increases the production of digestive juices in the stomach, thereby reducing the chance of gas formation.
Its carminative property aids digestion and reduces flatulence and bloating.
- Chew a few whole pods of cardamom 2 or 3 times a day to relieve stomach gas.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of crushed cardamom pods to 1 cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain, add some honey and drink it after eating a meal.
Fennel is a traditional remedy to relieve burping.
Its carminative nature soothes the digestive tract and prevents the formation of gas as well as other digestive problems, such as indigestion, bloating and heartburn.
- Chew ½ to 1 teaspoon of dry-roasted fennel seeds after eating a meal to reduce belching and expel gas through your intestinal tract.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds to 1 cup of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes, then strain it. Drink this tea twice daily.