Garlic can be used in a variety of ways to treat boils and abscesses, thanks to its antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is a gold mine of many sulfur containing compounds like alliin, allicin, ajoene, and other sulfides which help target many health problems.
It is a natural remedy for treating skin problems like psoriasis, keloid scars, corns, ringworm infections and is quite a reliable remedy for boils and carbuncles.
In addition to fighting the infection and reducing the inflammation, it also helps alleviate the pain.
- Make a paste of 2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves and apply it onto the boil. Leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse it off. Do this once or twice a day. Do not overdo this remedy as garlic is quite potent and may even burn the skin on some cases.
- Alternatively, heat a garlic clove and place it onto the boil for about 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Also, eat 2 or 3 raw garlic cloves daily to help fight the infection from within.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a remedy which has more anecdotal support than scientific evidence for the treatment of boils.
It has been used as a disinfectant since ancient times. Its acidic nature inhibits the growth of bacteria and other microbes . This helps in softening the crust of the boils and cleaning it once the boil has been drained.
The anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar also help relieve the accompanying swelling and redness. Plus, it helps restore the natural pH of the body.
It can be ingested as well as applied topically to help treat skin problems like acne, eczema and even psoriasis .
- Mix equal parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water. Dip a clean cotton ball in this solution and apply on the affected area. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off. If you have a sensitive skin then do a patch test before using this remedy.
- You can also mix 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water or fruit juice and drink it once or twice daily to help fight the infection and boost your overall health as well.