9. Acupuncture and Acupressure
Both acupuncture and acupressure help people with eating disorders like anorexia by increasing a sense of well-being and promoting relaxation.
According to a 2014 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, researchers concluded that acupuncture and acupressure might improve the subjective sense of well-being among people with anorexia nervosa. However further research is needed.
The acupuncture and acupressure points to treat eating disorders are Hegu (LI4), Zusanli (ST36), Neiguan (PC6), Taichong (LR3) and Yanglingquan (GB34).
Find a trained practitioner to do the acupuncture for you.
Meditation is another effective way to fight anorexia. It can help when dealing with emotional struggles to relax your mind and soul. With the help of meditation, you can start thinking positively and fight off negative thoughts.
You can do meditation in different ways, either by:
- Sitting, standing or lying down and focusing on your breath, or
- Repeating a phrase or mantra.
While meditating, try to let go of any stressful conflicts that arise in the mind and body, without condemning them. If you are not able to practice meditation on your own, join a group or club.
- Attend group therapy regularly.
- Try your best not to stray from meal plans, even if they make you uncomfortable.
- Make a habit of eating breakfast daily, as it is essential for health. Then, eat several small meals throughout the day.
- Start your meal with vegetable soups, as they are good appetizers. A fruit or vegetable salad eaten before each meal is another effective treatment for anorexia.
- Eat more spicy foods to help create a strong appetite.
- Eat a handful of walnuts and almonds daily, as they can help improve emotional health.
- If needed, take nutritional supplements to help restore your body to a normal weight and establish healthy eating habits. Consult your doctor first.
- Drink sufficient water throughout the day but do not fill up on water only.
- Family support and encouragement is important for the patient’s recovery.
- Parents should teach their children how to lead healthy and active lifestyles.
- Parents should also promote positive thinking within their children through compliments and constructive criticism.