Anal itching, medically known as pruritus ani, is a common problem affecting both men and women, though it is more common in men. It can occur at any age, but seems to be most common between 30 and 50 years of age.
Anal itching can be due to skin or internal medical issues. Skin-related causes include atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, excess friction in the anal area, excess sweat and moisture around the anus, exposure to chemical-based perfumes and dyes, and improper wiping after a bowel movement.
Some of the medical causes are food allergies, anal fissures, anal tumors, diarrhea, constipation, fecal incontinence and hemorrhoids, along with parasite, sexually transmitted, fungal and yeast infections.
The main symptom is itching in the anal area, which is often intense causing a strong urge to scratch.
Other symptoms of pruritus ani are burning, dryness, soreness, redness, swelling, ulcers, and a rash in and around the anal region. The symptoms may be temporary or more persistent, depending on the cause.
You may find anal itching to be embarrassing and uncomfortable. You can treat it at home with simple lifestyle changes and easy-to-follow home remedies. However, seek medical advice if the itching becomes unbearable or persistent.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for anal itching.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Both yeast and fungal infections can cause anal itching. In these cases, you can use apple cider vinegar to help control the infection. In addition, it helps alkalize the body.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink it twice daily.
- Another option is to add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to a hot bath. Soak in this bathwater for 15 to 20 minutes, once daily.
Follow these remedies for several days until anal itching and irritation subside.
Garlic helps treat anal itching from the inside out. It helps eliminate intestinal worms, one of the main causes of this problem. In addition, the antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties in garlic help treat any kind of infection responsible for anal itching.
- Eat 2 to 3 cloves of raw garlic on an empty stomach daily for one week.
- Another option is to boil 2 crushed garlic cloves in ½ cup of milk. Drink it on an empty stomach for a week.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for anal itching. It soothes the skin and its antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties can treat any infection responsible for anal itching. Moreover, it can help expel intestinal worms.
- Eat 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil daily. You can also use this oil for cooking purposes.
- Rub some warm coconut oil in and around the affected area several times a day to relieve itching and burning sensations.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has soothing and calming properties that can relieve anal itching, soreness and inflammation. Aloe vera also helps reduce the irritation of hemorrhoids, one of the main causes of anal itching.
- Slice away the thorny edges of a fresh aloe vera leaf, then cut it open.
- Extract the gel and rub it in and around the anus for 5 minutes.
- Reapply the gel every few hours to get rid of the itching and soreness.
You can also use oatmeal to treat an itchy anus. Oatmeal contains anti-irritating, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help heal irritated, inflamed and itchy skin.
- Mix 1 to 2 cups of colloidal oatmeal or unprocessed oat flour in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak in this water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You can take an oatmeal bath 1 or 2 times a day.
For treating yeast infection, which may cause anal itching, you can use yogurt. Not all types of yogurt will be beneficial. You must use probiotic yogurt with live active cultures (good bacteria). These bacteria can help control the growth of the infection. For treating anal itching, use plain, unsweetened probiotic yogurt only.
- Rub some plain yogurt on the affected skin. Let it sit for at least 20 to 30 minutes, or preferably overnight. Then rinse it off with warm water and dry the area thoroughly.
- Also, eat 2 to 3 cups of plain yogurt daily.