Due to its moisturizing and humectant properties, glycerin works as a great remedy to get rid of dry skin. It helps your skin absorb and retain moisture.
- Thoroughly mix equal parts of glycerin, rose water and lemon juice.
- Apply this solution on your dry skin before going to sleep.
- The next morning, take a lukewarm shower.
- Repeat this remedy once daily.
Oatmeal is another great healer for dry skin. It is a natural cleansing and exfoliating agent that helps combat dryness by removing dead skin cells.
Plus, the protein in it helps prevent water loss and keeps the skin moisturized, which adds a natural glow to the skin. It also helps soothe itching and irritated skin.
- Add 1 cup of oatmeal and a few drops of lavender oil to your bathwater and stir thoroughly. Soak yourself in this soothing water for at least 15 minutes, then rinse off with fresh water. Gently pat dry your skin and apply a light moisturizer. Enjoy this hydrating bath once a week.
- For topical application, thoroughly mix 1 tablespoon each of ground oatmeal and milk and 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply this oatmeal mask on your dry skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use it once or twice a week.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body as well as skin well-hydrated.
- When shopping for soaps and detergents, choose those that are mild and fragrance-free. Avoid those that contain deodorant and antibacterial agents as they contain harsh chemicals.
- Avoid using harsh peels, masks and alcohol-based toners or astringents on your face. Such products can strip vital oil from your skin.
- Enjoy cool showers rather than long, hot showers.
- It is very important to use sunscreen daily, even during the winter months.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol, as they can dehydrate the body.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. They have always been a great help to the skin as well as maintaining a healthy body.
- Remove flaky skin by exfoliating once a week.
- Use a humidifier to get more moisture into the indoor air, which helps prevent your skin from drying out.
- Regularly exfoliate your feet and apply some thick moisturizer daily to prevent cracked feet.