Many people experience the discomfort of a dry scalp. Do not consider yourself to be a sole sufferer.
The scalp contains sebaceous glands that produce oil to keep it moisturized. When the production of oil is reduced, the scalp becomes too dry.
This can occur for a number of reasons. Some common causes include eczema, dietary deficiencies, scalp infections, exposure to cold and dry weather, shampooing your hair too often and using hair care products that contain alcohol.
A dry scalp can be itchy, red and irritated, and can also make your hair appear dry and dull. The absence of adequate moisture also can weaken the hair follicles and even increase hair loss. So, it’s important to treat the problem as soon as you notice it.
Fortunately, there are many simple and effective home remedies to restore moisture to your scalp and treat dryness.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dry scalp.
1.Warm Oil Massage
A warm oil massage is the best and most effective way to restore lost moisture and treat a dry scalp. Massaging with oil encourages the natural production of oil, improves blood circulation to the hair follicles and scalp, and provides essential nutrients to the scalp.
This remedy also helps reduce itchiness.
When massaging, use coconut oil or olive oil for best results.
- Warm 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Use the warm oil to massage your entire scalp.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and leave it for 1 to 2 hours.
- Rinse the oil from your hair, then shampoo as usual.
- Do an oil massage once or twice a week to keep your scalp free from itchiness and dryness.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is another very effective home remedy for a dry scalp. As aloe vera is a great skin moisturizer, you can use it to get relief from an itchy scalp as well.
In fact, aloe vera is especially beneficial for a dry scalp caused by psoriasis.
- Extract pure aloe vera gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on your scalp.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Repeat this treatment 1 or 2 times a week.
Honey is also a good remedy for a dry and itchy scalp. The antimicrobial properties of honey can help destroy any harmful microbes present on your scalp and reduce the risk of infection.
- Dilute raw honey with some warm water in the ratio of 4:1. Massage the solution into your scalp for 2 to 3 minutes. Cover your head with a warm towel and leave it on for 2 hours. Shampoo your hair as usual. Use this remedy twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix ½ cup of warm olive oil and 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply this on your scalp and massage gently. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes, then shampoo your hair as usual. Use this remedy 2 or 3 times a week.
Yogurt also works as a great remedy for a dry scalp. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help keep your scalp clean and free from infections.
It also makes your hair soft, smooth and shiny.
- Apply plain yogurt on your scalp and massage thoroughly for 5 to 10 minutes. Allow it to sit for 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy a few times a week.
- Alternatively, mix together ½ cup of yogurt and 3 tablespoons of ground fenugreek seeds. Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. Wait 1 hour, then wash it outwith a mild shampoo. Repeat this remedy once a week.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
It helps cleanse the scalp and hair, eliminating accumulated product residue and restoring the pH of your hair.
- Mix ¼ cup of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 3 cups of water.
- Spray this solution on your scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair as usual.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a week.
Mayonnaise is full of oils and fats that condition the scalp and hair. This in turn helps reduce scalp dryness.
The vinegar in the mayonnaise also helps deal with any bacterial or fungal infection, one of the key reasons behind a dry scalp.
- Apply a generous amount of mayonnaise on your scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Allow the mayonnaise to sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water, then shampoo as usual.
- Repeat this remedy once a week.