9. Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is an increasingly popular natural treatment for treating nerve pain associated with diabetes.
Here different techniques like palpation, pressure, massage, exercise programs and lifestyle counseling are used together to help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation.
The techniques help a lot in improving the range of motion by loosening the tight muscles, aiding in the circulation and nerve connection. Moreover, it is very relaxing for the whole body.
According to a 2015 report by Diabetes News Journal, chiropractic care is an effective treatment for peripheral neuropathy because it targets the root cause of a patient’s pain symptoms .
Always make sure that you choose the qualified and reputed chiropractic center.
Like chiropractic care, acupuncture is another effective option to treat diabetic nerve pain.
In this kind of traditional Chinese therapy, certain points on the body are stimulated with needles to help relax the tight muscles, boost blood circulation, and heal damaged nerves. This, in turn, reduces pain.
A 2010 study published in the Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies reports that acupuncture may be clinically useful for the radical treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy .
Another study published in the Journal of Translational Medicine & Research in 2017 suggests that acupunctural therapy has the potential to treat a range of TII diabetes symptoms, including hyperglycemia, diabetic neuropathy and other pain-related complications .
Always have acupuncture done by a skilled and experienced acupuncturist.
- Shed the excess weight to keep your cholesterol and blood glucose levels under control.
- Try to keep your blood pressure under control as people with diabetes are more likely to have high blood pressure.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon in your daily meals to control blood sugar levels.
- If you get a gluten allergy, you should not consume gluten as it can trigger and worsen your condition.
- Have more B vitamin-rich foods as they support the breakdown of foods during digestion.
- Nerve pain can lead to infections, ulcers, and even amputations and hence it is important to take proper care of your feet.
- It is recommended to wear shoes for people with neuropathic feet or wear comfortable shoes.
- Also, try to wear socks with the padding at the balls of heel and foot.
- Chew fennel seeds after having your meal to improve your digestion that gets adversely affected due to diabetic neuropathy.
- You can also take evening primrose as it is high in omega-6 fatty acids, important structural components of your cell walls.
- Strictly follow a diabetic friendly diet plan as the food you eat has a direct influence on your blood glucose levels.
- Eat 4 to 5 nuts such as pecans, walnuts, and almonds each morning to improve the symptoms of neuropathy pain.
- Manage stress as it can have a significant negative effect on pain and inflammation in the body.
- World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/. Published November 2017. Accessed February 22, 2018
- Lindsay TJ, Rodgers BC, Savath V, Hettinger KD. Treating Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain. American Family Physician. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0715/p151.html. Published July 15, 2010. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Forst T, Pohlmann T, Kunt T, et al. The influence of local capsaicin treatment on small nerve fibre function and neurovascular control in symptomatic diabetic neuropathy. Acta diabetologica. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12043933. Published April 2002. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- http://www.theoncologynurse.com/docs/issues/November-December-2009. Issuu. https://issuu.com/theoncologynurse/docs/november-december-2009. Published March 20, 2015. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Kluding PM, Pasnoor M, Singh R, et al. The effect of exercise on neuropathic symptoms, nerve function, and cutaneous innervation in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications. 2012;26(5):424-429. doi:10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2012.05.007.
- Khandouzi N, Shidfar F, Rajab A, Rahideh T, Hosseini P, Taheri MM. The Effects of Ginger on Fasting Blood Sugar, Hemoglobin A1c, Apolipoprotein B, Apolipoprotein A-I and Malondialdehyde in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research : IJPR. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4277626/. Published 2015. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Vallianou N, Evangelopoulos A, Koutalas P. Alpha-Lipoic Acid and Diabetic Neuropathy. The Review of Diabetic Studies : RDS. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836194/. Published 2009. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Mijnhout GS, Alkhalaf A, Kleefstra N, Bilo HJ. Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes? The Netherlands journal of medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20421656. Published April 2010. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Ezzo J, Donner T, Nickols D, Cox M. Is Massage Useful in the Management of Diabetes? A Systematic Review. Diabetes Spectrum. http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/14/4/218. Published October 1, 2001. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Gok Z, Arikan A, Izgu N, Ozdemir L, Arslan IE. Aromatherapy Massage for Neuropathic Pain and Quality of Life in Diabetic Patients. Journal of nursing scholarship : an official publication of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28605119. Published July 2017. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Emanuele N V, Swade TF, Emanuele MA. Consequences of Alcohol Use in Diabetics. 1998;22(3). https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/211. Accessed February 23, 2018.
- Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3370340/. Published March 2012. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Clair C, Cohen MJ, Eichler F, Selby KJ, Rigotti NA. The Effect of Cigarette Smoking on Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of General Internal Medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4510224/. Published August 2015. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Çelik SB. The Evaluation of the Neuropathic Pain in the Smokers. Ağrı – The Journal of The Turkish Society of Algology. 2017. doi:10.5505/agri.2017.68815
- Ferreira LM. Chiropractic Care May Help Control Peripheral Neuropathy in Diabetics. Diabetes News Journal. https://diabetesnewsjournal.com/2015/03/17/chiropractic-care-may-help-control-peripheral-neuropathy-in-diabetics/. Published March 17, 2015. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Tong Y, Guo H, Han B. Fifteen-day Acupuncture Treatment Relieves Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2005290110600180. Published June 15, 2010. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- Guang Luo L, Wang S, Xiao E, Luo JZ. Effects of Acupuncture in Diabetes Neuropathy: Case Report. Open Access J Transl Med Res. doi:10.15406/oajtmr.2017.01.00004.