Another herb that is beneficial in treating colic is basil. It is high in eugenol, which has antispasmodic and sedative properties that help expel gas and ease other gastrointestinal discomforts.
- Put 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaves in a cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for 10 minutes. Strain and allow it to cool. Give 1 to 2 teaspoons of this tea to your baby a few times daily.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding can also drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day.
- Another option is to grind 1 tablespoon of basil leaves with a little water to make a paste. Apply this around your baby’s navel and abdomen. Allow it to dry, then wipe it off gently with a wet tissue. Repeat this treatment as needed.
8. Fennel Seeds
For colicky babies, fennel is a wonder herb. It can relieve gas and alleviate general stomach-related discomforts. Both babies and breastfeeding mothers can benefit from fennel seeds.
- Add 1 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds to 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain it.
- A breastfeeding mother can drink this tea 2 or 3 times a day. Small babies can be given ½ to 1 teaspoon of this herbal tea 3 times a day.
- Follow this treatment on a daily basis.