Burning sensations in the feet is a very common problem and can affect people at any age. The burning sensations can range from mild to severe and can be acute or chronic in nature.
Often, burning sensations in the feet is due to some kind of damage or dysfunction in the nervous system. This problem is sometimes associated with diabetes, chronic alcohol abuse, and exposure to certain toxins.
Other causes include deficiencies of B vitamins, folic acid, thiamine or calcium; athletes’ foot; injuries, traumas, stings and bites from insects; burning feet syndrome; chronic kidney disease, and peripheral vascular disease.
In addition to the burning sensation in the feet, one can have symptoms like redness, swelling, increased sweating, dull ache, peeling skin, change in color and texture of the skin, and increased sensation of temperature.
The treatment for burning sensations in the feet depends on the underlying cause. It can be controlled with over-the-counter or prescription medications. You can also try some simple remedies to reduce the discomfort. Also, do consult your doctor proper diagnosis and treatment.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for burning sensations in the feet.
1. Cold Water
Cold water is one of the best home remedies for burning feet. The cool water provides quick relief from the tingling, numbness and swelling of the feet.
- Fill a foot tub with cold water.
- Soak your feet in it for a few minutes.
- Give your feet some rest and then soak again.
- Repeat several times a day.
Do not soak your feet in cold water for more than a few minutes as it can worsen the symptoms. Also, do not apply ice or an ice pack directly on your feet.
Note: Cold water immersions are often advised against in case of erythromelalgia as it may cause reactive flaring and may further lead to maceration of the skin, non-healing ulcers and other problems.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
As apple cider vinegar helps balance the pH level of your body, it can also be used to treat burning feet.
- Mix one to two tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Drink it once daily for best results.
- You can also fill a tub with hot water and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Also mix in some sea salt or Epsom salt. Soak your feet in it for about 20 minutes twice daily.
Turmeric contains a good amount of the compound known as cucumin, which helps improve blood flow and circulation throughout your body. Plus, turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce burning sensations as well as pain in the feet.
- Mix one to two teaspoons of turmeric in a glass of warm water and drink it. Do this twice daily for best results.
- You can also prepare a paste of two tablespoons of turmeric and enough water and apply it on the affected area once or twice a day for a few days. But, bear in mind that this remedy can stain your feet.
4. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can help soothe your feet and give instant relief from burning sensations. Made out of magnesium sulfate, it can help reduce inflammation and pain. Plus, it can help nerves function properly.
- Put one-half cup of Epsom salt in a tub big enough to cover your feet.
- Pour warm water in the tub and mix it well.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Follow this remedy once daily for a few days.
Note: Epsom salt soaks may not be suitable for those with diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease, so consult your doctor before trying this remedy.
Ginger is another effective remedy for burning sensations in your feet. Several active components in ginger help increase blood circulation in the body, which in turn brings quick relief from the burning sensations.
- Mix one teaspoon of ginger juice with some warm coconut oil or olive oil. Massage your feet and legs with this mixture for 10 to 15 minutes once daily.
- Alternatively, you can drink two to three cups of ginger tea daily. You can even try a warm ginger tea soak to lessen swelling and pain.
Follow any of these remedies for several days until you get relief from the problem.
6. Bitter Gourd
In Ayurveda, bitter gourd has traditionally been used as a remedy for burning feet.
- Grind a handful of bitter gourd leaves with a little water until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and soon the burning sensation will reduce.
- Repeat as needed.