9. Vitamin C
As vitamin C is necessary for the health of skin and blood vessels, it is often recommended for those suffering from bed sores. Also, it is a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties that help heal the skin quickly and prevent damage to the tissues.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder, also known as amla powder, with warm water every morning on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, take vitamin C in supplement form after consulting a doctor.
- Also, include vitamin C-rich foods in your diet like oranges, lemons, grapefruit, bell peppers and so on.
Zinc is an important mineral that supports the immune system and promotes wound healing by repairing damaged skin tissues. It is also essential for regular cell growth and regeneration. Plus, infections and deteriorations of bed sores can be prevented by taking an adequate amount of zinc.
- Take zinc in supplement form to help the sores heal. Be sure to consult a doctor first.
- You can also apply a zinc ointment on the sores, after consulting a doctor.
- Also, include zinc-based foods like oysters, wheat germ, spinach, pumpkin, nuts and mushrooms in your diet.
- Ask someone to inspect your skin daily, especially around bony areas like the spine, lower back, hips, elbows and knees.
- Keep skin clean and free of sweat, wound drainage, urine and feces.
- Limit exposure to dry, cold weather because dry skin is more easily damaged.
- Even if you are confined to a bed or a wheelchair, try to include some exercises in your daily routine. Consult an expert to learn exercises that you can do as per your capabilities.
- Avoid tight clothing, clothing with heavy seams and nylon underwear.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco-based products. These products can dry out the skin and reduce blood supply to the skin.
- Use some sort of cushioning on the bony area to promote healing.
- Sleep on a soft mattress or an air mattress.
- To reduce pressure on the affected areas, use pillows, soft cushions, sheepskin or blankets.
- If you are using a wheelchair, use a seat cushion that fits your body well.
- Always keep the skin dry because moisture can worsen the skin condition.
- Eat foods that are high in protein to help build muscle and strengthen the body.
- It is also extremely important to drink an adequate amount of water to keep the skin hydrated.