White patches on your face can be very unpleasant to look at. Also, it can affect your self-esteem and confidence.
White spots on the face look paler than the surrounding skin. In some cases, the spots can be a little itchy, but they are usually harmless. White spots can also appear on the hands, back and other parts of the body.
Vitiligo, a condition involving a decline in the melanin-producing cells in the body, is the most common reason behind white spots. Melanin is a natural pigment that is responsible for the color of your skin as well as your hair.
Some white spots also can be due to sun exposure, fungal infections or certain nutritional deficiencies in the body. Eating too much junk food, sudden emotional stress, too many toxins in the body, excessive use of antibiotics and improper health hygiene can also contribute to white patches of skin on the body, including the face.
If you have white spots on your face, there is nothing to be worried about. You can use home remedies to deal with the problem.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to get rid of white spots on your face.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a good remedy to deal with white spots on your face, especially those that occur due to a sunburn or tinea versicolor, a fungal infection.
Its strong moisturizing effect can help keep the skin moisturized, which in turn helps restore a healthy and even skin color. It also promotes healing of damaged skin.
- Extract the gel out of an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel to the white spots.
- Leave it on your skin for at least 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse it off with water.
- Do this 2 or 3 times daily.
2. Coconut Oil
The all-purpose coconut oil is beneficial for different skin problems, including white spots on the face. It has repigmentation properties that help reverse white skin spots.
The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil work as natural fungicides, thus the oil can help treat tinea versicolor also.
- Apply extra-virgin coconut oil to the affected areas.
- Massage for 5 minutes to help the oil penetrate deep into the skin.
- There is no need to rinse it off. Allow any remaining oil to be naturally absorbed by your skin.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an effective home remedy for white spots on the face that may have developed due to tinea versicolor. It has antifungal properties that inhibit the spread of the infection and prevent a recurrence.
Tea tree oil also provides relief from itchiness.
- Mix 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Apply this oil blend to the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for a few weeks.
Copper aids in the production of melanin. Copper is needed by the enzyme tyrosinase for the synthesis of melanin pigment from tyrosine. Hence, copper is beneficial in the treatment of white spots on the face.
- Pour drinking water into a copper vessel and let it sit overnight at room temperature.
- Drink this copper-infused water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat daily until you see improvement in your skin tone.
Do not place this water in the refrigerator, as it will destroy all the properties of copper that the water takes on.
5. Red Clay
Red clay is also beneficial for treating white patches on your face. It has high copper content that helps restore melanin in your skin.
- Put 1 tablespoon of red clay in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ginger juice and mix thoroughly.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas.
- Allow it to dry completely, then wash it off and pat dry your skin.
- Apply a thick moisturizer or coconut oil afterward.
- Repeat daily for a few months.
The ginger that you have in your kitchen has multiple health benefits and can also help get rid of white patches on the skin if the problem is due to vitiligo or a sunburn.
Ginger is a melanin-booster and also improves blood circulation. Both these factors work together to maintain healthy and evenly toned skin.
- For topical use, massage the affected area with fresh ginger juice. Allow the juice to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off using cool water. Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks or until you see improvement.
- To help improve your skin’s health from the inside out, mix equal amounts of ginger juice and fresh mint juice. Drink it once daily for a few weeks.