While bones are the hardest mineral substances in the body, they are also living, growing tissue. They are primarily made of two materials – collagen (a protein) and calcium (a mineral).
Bones provide strength, balance and support throughout the body, including protecting the internal organs and supporting the muscles. Healthy bones are also important for good posture to improve your appearance and keep you looking youthful for years.
Along with strong bones, your body also needs ample energy to stay healthy and active. Without adequate energy, it can become impossible for you to complete even the easiest of tasks. You will feel exhausted and tired most of the time, leaving you no energy to enjoy all the fun-filled activities you love.
When it comes to protecting your bones and energizing your body, it’s never too late. No matter what your age, you can adjust your diet and lifestyle to help your body build and maintain strong bones.
A good diet containing key nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamins D and K, beta-carotene and protein can build strong bones, boost your endurance and help you recover faster from a hard workout or a day filled with physical activity. Along with a balanced diet, exercising regularly is equally important.
To get all the essential nutrients for strong bones and lots of energy to carry you through the day, you can start your day with a glass of healthy juice.
The key ingredients of homemade juice to strengthen bones and energize the body are:
- 1½ cups of raw spinach
- ½ cup of vitamin D-fortified orange juice
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 2 green apples (sliced into small pieces)
- 1 piece of ginger root (peeled)
Here are the specific benefits that these ingredients provide to your bones.
Spinach is a nutrient-dense green vegetable that’s essential for your bone health.
It is a rich source of vitamin K, with just 1 cup of spinach providing 181 percent of the recommended daily value for vitamin K. This vitamin helps prevent an excessive amount of osteoclasts, which are cells that can destroy bones.
It also contains key nutrients like calcium and magnesium, which are important for bone health.
2. Vitamin D-Fortified Orange Juice
This citrus juice is high in vitamin D, an essential nutrient for muscles and bones.
Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium, which is necessary to maintain strong bones. A deficiency in vitamin D can cause soft, thin and brittle bones. This can lead to rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults.
A 2003 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reports that vitamin D fortification of orange juice is effective in increasing vitamin D levels in the body, thus helping to prevent osteomalacia and osteoporosis in adults.
Cucumbers are touted as a rich source of vitamins A, B and C and minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Collectively, these minerals not only hydrate your body but also contribute to stronger bones. The carbohydrates and vitamin B in cucumbers help in converting food into glucose, which in turn provides you energy.
Cucumbers are highly alkaline in nature and help regulate the pH levels of your body. They also contain silica that aids the growth and strengthening of connective tissues. When consumed along with orange juice that is rich in vitamin C, cucumbers can help lower the levels of uric acid by flushing it out of your body and thereby preventing or relieving gout or arthritis pain.
According to a 2016 study published in The Journal of Aging Research and Clinical Practice, cucumbers aid in retaining water in cells and connective tissues, ensuring your general well-being.
4. Green Apples
This tasty fruit is an excellent source of nutrients that support bone health.
Green apples contain a flavonoid called phloridzin, which can reduce the risk of osteoporosis by improving inflammation markers and increasing bone density. Plus, the vitamin C in them is essential for the production of collagen, which maintains muscles, blood vessels, bones and cartilage.
Plus, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds in apples help promote bone density and strength.
Ginger is also known to boost bone health and relieve joint pain. It has a unique organic compound known as gingerol, which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Gingerol plays a key role in suppressing the inflammatory compounds like cytokines, before they can even begin to affect the bones.
Steps to Make the Juice
1. Cut the green apples into small pieces and put in the juicer.
2. Remove the stalks from the spinach leaves and add into the juicer.
3. Go, put chunks of cucumber through the juicer.
4. Peel and chop a piece of ginger root. Add it into the juicer.
5. Transfer the juice into a container and add the orange juice.
6. Mix it well. If needed, add a little water to get a better consistency of the juice.
7. Pour the juice into a glass. Add some ice cubes if desired.
Drink this healthy juice fresh everyday in the morning.
- Always wash fruits and vegetables under running water before using to remove pesticides and other impurities.
- For maximum benefits, use organic produce, particularly cucumbers, spinach and apples.
- You can add the juice of a lemon to the recipe to minimize oxidization and improve the nutrient retention of the juice.
- Optionally, sprinkle 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds on top for a nutty taste.
- As soon as the juice is ready, drink it immediately for the best taste and most health benefits.