After the fermentation process, your probiotic lemonade is ready for consumption. You can drink this healthy and refreshing beverage 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can store this homemade probiotic lemonade in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Instead of sugar, you can use organic sugarcane juice if it is readily available. However, avoid using prepackaged sugarcane juice.
- As the fermentation process will eat some of the sugar that you added initially, the lemonade will have a tart flavor.
- You may want to sweeten it, depending upon your preference. You can add a few drops of stevia, maple syrup or organic honey.
- If you prefer spicy lemonade, add a little black pepper or cayenne pepper powder.
- If you desire a salty taste, add some sea salt.
- To make whey, always use plain, unsweetened yogurt and try to use probiotic yogurt only.
- You can store the remaining whey in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
- Do not use concentrated or powdered whey for this recipe.
- Always use fresh lemon juice and avoid bottled juices, which often contain preservatives.
- Juice your lemons at room temperature to get more juice.
- You can use the yogurt from which you obtained the whey for making smoothies, dips or any other recipe that needs yogurt.