Onion juice is one of the best home remedies for thinning hair and hair loss. Its sulfur content improves blood circulation, stimulates hair follicles and promotes hair regrowth.
Sulfur is considered one of the primary building blocks of hair. It is required for healthy collagen and keratin. Many amino acids, the building blocks of protein, have a sulfur component, and keratin proteins have large amounts of sulfur-containing amino acids.
Studies have also found onions to be useful for treating hair loss. Plus, onions can help control issues like dandruff and scalp infections as well as reverse premature graying.
A small study published in the Journal of Dermatology in 2002 found that participants suffering from alopecia areata who applied onion juice to their scalp twice daily for 2 months had a significantly higher rate of hair regrowth than those in the control group who used tap water. The results were better among males than females.
The following recipe will also promote smooth and shiny hair due to the addition of honey. Honey is loaded with antioxidants and attracts moisture.
How to make an onion juice and honey treatment for hair loss
Things you will need:
- 1 onion
- A knife
- A blender
- A strainer
- A bowl
- A mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- An essential oil of your choice (optional)
1. Peel, chop and blend an onion.
2. Put the blended pulp in a strainer. Using a spoon, press the pulp to extract the juice.
3. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey to the onion juice.
4. Optionally, add a few drops of an essential oil, such as lavender oil.
Your homemade onion juice and honey treatment is ready now.
How to use
- Massage your bald patches or entire scalp with this mixture.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight, or at least for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair the next morning.
- Follow this hair loss treatment daily for a few months or until you are satisfied with the results.
- Instead of blending the onion, you can grate it and then extract the juice. For squeezing, you can use cheesecloth instead of a strainer. You can also use a juicer.
- To avoid tearing while cutting the onion, chill it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then chop it.
- If you want to add a fragrant essential oil, use rosemary, lavender, peppermint or other similar oils that promote hair growth.
- You can also add some lemon juice or rose water to mask the onion smell.