Who does not love a good facial mist in the sweltering heat of the summer! It is soothing, refreshing and above all, while imparting a dewy glow, it delivers numerous benefits and richness to your skin.
When in need of a relaxing break, using a facial mist can become a calming ritual. However, while the market is full of a plethora of mists, their high prices often leave you longing for your desire.
Moreover, commercial mists carry synthetic fragrances, alcohol and various other ingredients that may cause irritation and dry out your skin. And if you have sensitive skin, you might end up harming your skin to a considerable extent.
So, better to go for a DIY natural facial mist that also offers you the liberty to experiment with the oils and ingredients of your choice. The possibilities for ingredients are endless, from essential oils to coconut water, rose water, plant and fruit extracts and the list goes on.
Play mixologist this weekend and fill up your refrigerator with a batch of homemade refreshing mists and sprays. Read on below for a quick, simple, refreshing and customized choice of mists to make.
You can use the following ingredients or experiment with others of your choice:
Cucumber is an exceptional skin-calmer. Packed with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), pantothenic acid, vitamin K, retinol (vitamin A) and silica, it helps soothe a sunburn, hydrates your skin, reduces and controls melanin, and builds collagen. Cucumber showcases spectacular results in soothing and softening the skin while providing a cooling effect.
Lemon acts as a natural exfoliator and helps prevent acne and excess oil on the skin. Plus, it has invigorating and refreshing benefits that leave the skin fresh, rejuvenated, softer and smoother.
Aloe vera soothes the skin, improving blood circulation and the skin’s elasticity.
Rose water is exceptionally good at hydrating and rejuvenating the skin. Due to its mild astringent properties, it also helps remove excess ol and balance the skin’s pH level. An effective skin revitalizer, it reduces redness and gives you soft, smooth and glowing skin.
How to Make a DIY Cucumber Cooling Facial Mist to Refresh Your Skin
Things you’ll need:
- Cucumber juice – from 1 cucumber
- Lemon juice – from ½ of a lemon
- Aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Rose water – 1 tablespoon
1. Throw cucumber chunks in a mixer and blend into a pulp.
2. Pour the pulp into a cheese cloth arranged over a bowl.
3. Gather the corners, grip it tightly and extract the juice.
4. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into it.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
6. Blend in 1 tablespoon of rose water.
7. Mix all the ingredients together.
8. Pour and store the solution in a plastic spray bottle.
Spray and enjoy the freshness of your homemade mist. You can use it up to 3 times a day.
- You can store this homemade facial mist in the refrigerator for a week. Shake well before use.
- For added aroma, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to this mist.
- Instead of blending and extracting the juice from the cucumber, you can run it through a juicer to get the juice.
- Do not throw away the remaining cucumber pulp. You can apply it on your skin as a natural face mask.
- If you have sensitive skin, do not use lemon in the mist.
- You can also prepare your own rose water at home. Check out the process in this post.
- You can substitute rose water with orange blossom water or coconut water, as per your preference.
- Exfoliate regularly to help remove dead skin cells and keep your skin smooth.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- You must never use a metal bottle for storing the mist, as metals may react and alter the properties of essential oils. Always use high-quality plastic to store the mist.